Community Assistance Center, originally known as Community Action Center, was founded by 8 congregations who saw a need to centralize assistance to local families and individuals seeking help in the Sandy Springs and Dunwoody communities. CAC was formally dedicated in October 11, 1987 an opened its doors for the first time on November 2, 1987 on the campus of Mt. Vernon Presbyterian. A year later the center received its 501 (c) (3) status on September 12 , 1988.
In 2005 the center moved to the building at 1130 Hightower Trail in Sandy Springs allowing the expansion of client services, the food pantry and the addition of the Thrift Boutique.
Today, CAC is supported by 30 congregations and a broad network of donors and supporters including the City of Sandy Springs, Fulton County, the United Way of Greater Atlanta, foundations, businesses, civic organizations, schools and individual contributors.
Since its inception, CAC has been committed to preventing homelessness and to providing basic needs services to residents in the communities of Sandy Springs and Dunwoody. CAC unites many people and denominations to give humanitarian assistance to those who need it. CAC has become the “go to” agency when individuals and families in our communities face a financial loss. CAC has transformed itself from a volunteer organization with a part-time director, giving assistance to 200 families per year, to a professional organization offering comprehensive services to more than 2000 families a year.