CAC Client Confidentiality Policy
Staff paid and volunteer will, to the best of their ability, ensure confidentiality and privacy in regard to history, records, and discussions about the people we serve. The very fact that an individual is served by this nonprofit must be kept private or confidential; disclosure can be made only under specified conditions, which are described below, for reasons relating to law enforcement and fulfillment of our mission. This means that staff shall not disclose any information about a person, including the fact that the person is or is not served by Community Assistance Center, to anyone outside of this organization unless authorized by the executive director or other authorized personnel. The principle of confidentiality must be maintained in all programs, departments, functions and activities.
- No information requested by someone outside the nonprofit will be given over the telephone. Staff is instructed to respond with the statement: “Nonprofit policy does not permit me to give out this information.” That includes whether or not a person is or has been served by this nonprofit unless authorized in writing by the client.
- Before information is released, release-of-information forms will be explained and completed in the presence of the person about whom any information may be released.
- No information about individuals or records will be released to state, federal, or other agencies that enables the identification of any person by name, address, Social Security number, or other coding procedure.
- If records are inspected by an outside agency, the individual(s) who inspect the records must be specifically authorized to do so by the executive director. The taking of notes, copying of records, or removal of records is specifically prohibited in such cases.
- Staff will not discuss any individual’s record with unauthorized individuals, whether on or off duty. All staff is required to sign a confidentiality acknowledgment stating their responsibility and commitment in regard to client information.