Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Get Help Filing Tax Returns
Get your income tax returns prepared and filed for free at CAC! We ensure the use of all eligible tax credits for maximum refunds and proper filing with Uncle Sam! The service is available February – April 15 to any household in the Atlanta area earning up to $58,000. The program also serves persons with disabilities and limited English speaking tax filers. Meet with our team of trained and certified volunteer tax preparers available through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, an initiative of the IRS and the United Way of Greater Atlanta. Save on costly tax return preparation, filing and refund fees with CAC and VITA! Appointments are required.
To request an appointment for VITA tax return assistance you may submit a request form, email email@example.com or call the Helpline (770) 552-4015 and leave a message. CAC will contact you to schedule an appointment.
What to Bring to Your VITA Appointment:
- Proof of Identification (Photo ID)
- SSN or ITIN for yourself, your spouse and any dependents (original cards)
- All W-2s, 1098-Ts, 1099s (1099-MISC, 1099-INT, etc.), and Unemployment or Social Security Benefits
- Bank accounting and routing information if you’d like to do direct deposit/withdrawal
- Copy of last year’s tax return
- If you are filing a joint return, both spouses must be present to sign the tax forms
- If you pay for child or dependent care bring the name, address and tax ID (EIN) or SSN of the care provider
- Total education expenses (books, laptops, etc.)
- Total business expenses if you are an independent contractor
About VITA at CAC
CAC is proud to be a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site! The VITA program offers free tax preparation services to moderate and lower income earning tax filers to help them get their income tax returns filed accurately, on time, ensure all eligible tax credits and refunds and avoid costly preparation fees.
CAC is one of many VITA sites in metro Atlanta. VITA is an initiative of the IRS in partnership with the United Way of Greater Atlanta.
VITA is a seasonal program available February through April. At CAC we have about a dozen volunteers trained specifically for the VITA program. CAC typically helps about 500 tax filers a year prepare and submit their returns for free, helping filers get back more than $4 million over the years in refunds and credits!
VITA volunteers are needed! All VITA volunteer tax preparers are IRS trained and certified. Volunteer tax preparers (basic, intermediate or advanced) must complete online training by mid February. Additional VITA volunteers are also needed to serve as:
– Client Interviewers/Assistants: This person works with VITA clients to collect and scan all tax documents, upload scans, set up clients on computer video meeting with their Tax Preparer if needed.
– Reception desk greeters/appointment schedulers.
Available VITA volunteer shifts include evenings and Saturday mornings from February to April 15.
To become a VITA volunteer contact firstname.lastname@example.org.