Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Get Help Filing Tax Returns
Get your income tax returns prepared and filed for free at CAC! We ensure the use of all eligible tax credits for maximum refunds and proper filing with Uncle Sam! The service is available beginning January 28 to any household in the Atlanta area earning up to $55,000 in 2018. The program also serves persons with disabilities and limited English speaking tax filers. Meet with our team of trained and certified volunteer tax preparers available through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, an initiative of the IRS and the United Way of Greater Atlanta. Save on costly tax return preparation, filing and refund fees with CAC and VITA! Appointments are required.
Appointments are available January 28 through April 15, 2019
Mondays and Wednesday, 4 p.m. – 8 p.m.
Saturdays, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
What to Bring to Your VITA Appointment:
- Proof of Identification (Photo ID)
- SSN or ITIN for yourself, your spouse and any dependents (original cards)
- All W-2s, 1098-Ts, 1099s (1099-MISC, 1099-INT, etc.), and Unemployment or Social Security Benefits
- Bank accounting and routing information if you’d like to do direct deposit/withdrawal
- Copy of last year’s tax return
- If you are filing a joint return, both spouses must be present to sign the tax forms
- If you pay for child dependent care, EIN or SSN of care provider you are paying
- Total education expenses (books, laptops, etc.)
- Total business expenses if you are an independent contractor
About VITA at CAC
CAC is proud to be a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site! The VITA program offers free tax preparation services to moderate and lower income earning tax filers to help them get their income tax returns filed accurately, on time, ensure all eligible tax credits and refunds and avoid costly preparation fees.
CAC is one of many VITA sites in metro Atlanta. VITA is an initiative of the IRS in partnership with the United Way of Greater Atlanta.
VITA is a seasonal program available January through April. At CAC we have about a dozen volunteers trained specifically for the VITA program. In 2018 CAC prepared 500 tax returns for free, helping filers get back more than $600,000 in refunds and credits!
VITA volunteers are needed! All VITA volunteers are IRS trained and certified. Volunteer tax preparers (basic, intermediate or advanced) and intake/screeners, must complete training by mid February. Training is conducted online. To become a VITA volunteer contact Carlos Diaz, VITA coordinator at CAC, at firstname.lastname@example.org.